Monday, July 1, 2013

The Heat


The Heat (2013)
Directed by: Paul Feig
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 63%

Hello Film Fans!

Sorry it's been awhile since my last review. I proposed to my girlfriend of four and a half years two weeks ago so we have been busy. I will probably start doing more new RedBox/Netflix films more often than theatrical films (gots to budget properly, ya know?), but there are definitely some big ones I will be seeing (Wolverine, Thor, others...). This past Saturday, Katie and I went and saw TWO movies for the price of one courtesy of the Starlight Drive In Theater. This review will be of The Heat and the second one will be for This Is the End. Also, a little note about the image for this review: I refuse to use that awfully butchered theatrical poster. Melissa McCarthy looks like a ghost and it haunts my soul so instead, I decided to use an image where both Bullock and McCarthy look like they could destroy the person that botched that Photoshop job. That is all.

The Heat stars Sandra Bullock as Sarah Ashburn and Melissa McCarthy as Shannon Mullins. Sarah is a special agent with the FBI that is on course to be promoted. She is exceptional in the field and follows the rules to a T. This makes other agents look like amateurs and, thus, causes resentment. The rift between Sarah and the other agents forces her superior to reassign her to the Boston office. Sarah reluctantly takes the position in hopes to prove her mettle. Shannon is a detective with the Boston Police that gets things accomplished in a unique fashion. When Sarah begins investigating a drug lord, her path crosses with Shannon's. This causes conflict because of their drastically different approaches to their careers. Shannon is a tough Boston officer with a soft spot for her family and neighborhood and Sarah is anxious to close the case and get back to New York. The two eventually find a common ground (putting criminals in prison), and are able to bond.

I must admit that I didn't have high hopes for this film, but I am not really sure why. I absolutely loved Bridesmaids, Sandra Bullock is pretty incredible, Melissa McCarthy is probably the funniest woman in Hollywood right now (Kristin Wiig is right there with her), and Paul Feig has never made anything bad (Freaks and Geeks...enough said). Still, I just wasn't excited about The Heat. Perhaps it was because everywhere I looked I saw the trailer (which can get old really fast), or maybe it was because it seemed that Bullock was reprising her Miss Congeniality role (she's not). Whatever the reason, I am glad I saw it. Kate Dippold's first feature length script is filled with great characters, witty dialoge, and a pretty engaging, albeit generic, story. It further solidifies my desire to see McCarthy star in a film rather than share the spotlight with other comedic power hitters. Bridesmaids was arguably her breakout role but she has been active for a while. I first saw her on Gilmore Girls (that show was amazing):

She also stars in Mike and Molly opposite Billy Gardell:

She has been fantastic on SNL:
I love this skit

Along with these TV and film appearances, she also has a YouTube character named Marbles Harsgrove:

I feel McCarthy has the chops to carry a film without having to attach a gimmick to her character. In Bridesmaids she was a homely government agent, in Identity Thief she was a criminal, and in The Heat she was, again, a homely officer. I'd like to see her as a typical woman that happens to be hysterical. The counterpoint to this suggestion is that McCarthy works best in an ensemble. That is what made Bridesmaids so funny. The collection of hilarious women made the film so much better. Whatever the case may be, I am excited to see more of her films.

Eventhough I always suggest against seeing comedies in the theater, I would say that this one is a pretty safe bet. The comedy will likely be heightened by the shared laughter and the money you spent will be justified. There is quite a bit of language so if that is something that offends you then perhaps steer clear. Watch for director Paul Feig's cameo (as well as McCarthy's husband, Ben Falcone).

My Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment