Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Oscar Predictions


The Oscars are a week away and I would like to throw out my predictions! I am going to state who I think will win and why (My Prediction), who I want to win and why (My Pick), and I will also give some examples of past winners so you can get a feel for what the Academy looks for when awarding them the coveted statuette. I will not be doing all categories; just the ones I feel I can speak on intelligently and can give a fair prediction. I hope you enjoy! Please comment with your predictions! (If you need a reference for who is nominated, here is a link to the list of nominees).

Let's get the ball rolling with...
Best Visual Effects:
This award is given to the film that best utilizes technology to aid in the telling of the story. The first winner was Wings in 1927. Other notable winners include: Inception, Avatar, Forrest Gump, Terminator 2, Alien, and Star Wars.
My Prediction: The Hobbit. Peter Jackson did a fantastic job of bringing Tolkien's world to life again. His attention to minute details breathes life into everything. I highly recommend seeing this if you haven't already. Also, he has one for every film in the Lord of the Rings trilogy so it would make sense to follow suite with The Hobbit.
My Pick: I have to go with The Hobbit. As I stated above, Jackson's ability to bring such a fantastic place to life really does show great prowess with the medium. Andy Serkis also deserves mention because he is incredible as Gollum.

Best Film Editing:
This award is given to the key people responsible for editing the winning film. This award is closely related to the Best Picture Oscar. It is important to remember that, even though you have a great writer, great director, and great cast, you have nothing if you don't have someone to put it all together. The first winner of this award was Eskimo in 1934. Other winners include: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network, The Departed, The Matrix, JFK, and Platoon.
My Prediction: Lincoln. Period films are Oscar darlings. They immediately receive buzz and usually dominate at the awards. I have no reason to believe that Lincoln won't clean up this year.
My Pick: Argo or Life of Pi. I say Argo because Affleck was shafted by not receiving a Best Director nom however, as I stated above, your film is nothing without a great editor. The film that exemplifies that the most for me was Life of Pi. The way that story is told, with numerous flashbacks and fantastic elements, lends itself to be a great pick for the Academy.

Best Costume Design:
This award is given to the film that excels in setting the tone of the film through the use of clothing. This films typically nominated for this award are the period films that are released during that year. The first winners of this award (one for black and white and one for color) were Hamlet and Joan of Arc respectively. Other notable winners include: The Artist, Alice In Wonderland, The Aviator, The English Patient, and Amadeus.
My Prediction: Les Miserables. Les Miserables' costumes were just as important to the film as the music. The differences between the character's social status and wealth are apparent in the clothing they wear. The only film I feel has a real chance against Les Miserables is Lincoln.
My Pick: I have to go with Les Mis. As I stated above, the costuming was spot on for the era and I feel the Academy will recognize it.

Best Makeup:
The award for Best Makeup was created in honor of the 1980 film The Elephant Man. Prior to the creation of the award, the makeup artists were only able to receive recognition after a lifetime of work in their field. The first winner of the award was An American Werewolf In London. Other winners include: The Iron Lady, Star Trek (2009), Frida, Men In Black, and The Fly.
My Prediction: I believe the Academy is going to pick Hitchcock. I haven't actually seen the film but from the screenshots it seems like the makeup artists did a phenomenal job transforming Anthony Hopkins into Alfred Hitchcock. However, I wouldn't doubt seeing Les Mis win this one too.
My Pick: The Hobbit. Hands down. The dwarves that star in The Hobbit are enough but add in the goblins, the hobbits, and Gollum and you have a film rife with spectacular display in makeup. Also, again, Jackson won two out of three times for the Lord of the Rings films in this category.

Best Cinematography:
The award for Best Cinematography goes to the film that displays exceptional skill in cinematography. Cinematography comprises all aspects relating to lighting, camera work (angles, zoom, focus, etc), and the overall tone of the visual portion of the film. Most films portray certain emotion or tone due to a cinematographers decisions. Many directors choose to continue working with cinematographers so that they can utilize their style as their signature in their films. The first film to win this award was Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans however technically the cinematographers Charles Rosher and Karl Struss were the ones awarded, not the film. Other notable winners include: Inception, Slumdog Millionaire, There Will Be Blood, The Aviator, and Gandhi.
My Prediction: Lincoln simply because I foresee an award sweep by Spielberg's latest venture. I haven't seen Lincoln so I cannot speak on why, technically, it will win but as I stated earlier, period pieces are Oscar magnets. Another possible winner is Anna Karenina but its reviews are not as favorable as Lincoln's and the highest rated film typically wins.
My Pick: Django Unchained. I love Quentin Tarantino so this choice is mostly a biased pick. That being said, Django had great moments of superb camera work. If you want to know more then read here for my in depth review of the film.

Best Production Design:
The award for Best Production Design goes to the film that shows exemplary skill in setting the tone and time of a film through the use of set design. The firs film(s) given the award were The Dove and Tempest because the set designer for both films was the same, William Cameron Menzies. Other notable winners include: Hugo, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Moulin Rouge!, Titanic, and Batman.
My Prediction: Les Miserables will most likely win because of the elaborate sets. I feel that the opening scene with Valjean pulling a large ship into the dock with all the other laborers might have been enough just because of how huge the prop appeared. It is also not unheard of for musicals to win this award (see: Moulin Rouge!).
My Pick: The Hobbit or Les Mis because both of them had a difficult task at hand. One was to recreate a world from the imagination of the author and the other was to emulate the emotions of the music of a story set during the French Revolution through the set design.

Best Original Song:
This award goes to the writer of an original song that was utilized in a film within the award year. If the film has been adapted from the stage and uses music from the adapted form; those songs may not be used as they are not "original". The first winner of this award was The Continental from the 1934 film The Gay Divorcee. Other notable winners include: Man or Muppet by Brett McKenzie from The Muppets, We Belong Together by Randy Newman from Toy Story 3, It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp by members of Three 6 Mafia from Hustle & Flow, Lose Yourself by Eminem from 8 Mile, and I Just Called to Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder from The Woman In Red.
My Prediction: Skyfall by Adele looks to be a strong candidate simply because it is the only one that people can really recall. Because Les Mis has been adapted from the stage most of their songs are not eligible for the award.
My Pick: I will agree with my prediction here. I liked the song and I think Adele is deserving of the award.

Best Original Score:
The score of a film is all the music heard throughout film not including actual songs. The score is an important part of the finished film because it adds layers of depth and emotion to the work. Without a score, the scenes would be noticeably lacking in substance. The first film to win this award was One Night of Love in 1934. Other notable winners include: The Artist, The Social Network, Up, Aladdin, and E.T.
My Prediction: Again, Lincoln will probably be the winner here. I really do need to see this film.
My Pick: Life of Pi's score was integral to the film because there were moments of complete loneliness that were expressed wonderfully though the score. The music carried the audience through the story in an exceptional manner.

Best Animated Feature:
The Academy Award for Best Animated Feature goes to the best animated film released within the award year. The film must run longer than forty minutes and must include animated characters in seventy five percent or more of the total running time. This award is relatively new as it was first awarded in 2002 to Shrek. Other winners include: Rango, Happy Feet, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit Spirited Away, as well as many of Pixar's films.
My Prediction: Brave will take this award. Pixar rarely loses this category and I have no reason to believe they will this year. I did not like Brave because I felt like the story took a backseat to the technical marvel of creating realistic hair but I am not in the Academy so it doesn't matter.
My Pick: Frankenweenie because I loved the original and because Tim Burton utilized Stop Motion which is a rarity especially now. I didn't see the remake but I have been told that it was a lot of fun. It would be nice to see someone other than Pixar win this year (I really do love Pixar though).

Best Adapted Screenplay:
The Best Adapted Screenplay goes to the writer of the film that has been adapted from one medium to another (usually novel to film). The first film to win this award was Seventh Heaven. Other notable winners include: The Descendants, The Social Network, No Country for Old Men, Schindler's List, and Kramer vs. Kramer.
My Prediction: Silver Linings Playbook could be a surprise winner in this category. It has gained an enormous amount of acclaim and could edge Lincoln out of the limelight.
My Pick: I could go two ways on this one: Argo or Silver Linings Playbook. I think Ben Affleck did a hell of a job with Argo and believe he should win but I also really enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook. It's a tough decision but I want Argo to snag this award.

Best Original Screenplay:
The Best Original Screenplay goes to the film with the best writing and dialogue. This film must be an original work. It was first awarded in 1940 to The Great McGinty. Other notable winners include: Midnight In Paris, Juno, Little Miss Sunshine, Almost Famous, and Pulp Fiction.
My Prediction: I believe that Django Unchained has a really good shot at winning this year. The only other film that I feel like has an edge over it is Amour because it is a foreign film and the Academy loves foreign films more than they love period pieces.
My Pick: Tarantino wrote such an engaging and enjoyable film with Django Unchained that it would be heartbreaking if he didn't win it. He was snubbed in 2009 when Inglorious Basterds didn't win. Fun Fact: He lost in 2009 to The Hurt Locker which was written by Mark Boal and directed by Kathryn Bigelow. They are also up for an award this year for Zero Dark Thirty.

Best Supporting Actress:
This award is given to the actress that delivered an outstanding supporting performance in a film within the award year. Gale Sondergaard was the first winner in 1936 for her role in Anthony Adverse. Other notable winners include: Octavia Spencer, Melissa Leo, Cate Blanchett, Jennifer Connelly, and Meryl Streep.
My Prediction: This is a tough choice. I would be inclined to say Anne Hathaway for Les Mis but she was barely in the film. I honestly think Sally Field will be selected for her role in Lincoln.
My Pick: I would like to see Jacki Weaver win for her role as the matriarch in Silver Linings Playbook. She was the glue that held the family together and she held the screen easily while Robert DeNiro and Bradley Cooper yelled and fought with each other. I would also be happy if Helen Hunt won for her role in The Sessions . This is a film I have been wanting to see but just haven't had the time.

Best Supporting Actor:
This award is just like the Best Supporting Actress award; only for a male. The first winner of this award was Walter Brennan in 1936 for his role in Come and Get It. Other notable winners include: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Morgan Freeman, Michael Cain, and Robin Williams.
My Prediction: I have not had a chance to see The Master but Philip Seymour Hoffman is such an amazing talent that I cannot see the Academy picking anybody else.
My Pick: I have discussed before why I think that Robert DeNiro's role in Silver Linings Playbook was one of his best in years. I would like to see him win this award so that he continues to take parts that challenge his acting abilities.

Best Leading Actor:
The Best Leading Actor Oscar is given to the actor that delivered an exception performance in a film within the award year. Emil Jannings was the first winner in 1928 for his roles in The Last Command and The Way of All Flesh. Other notable winners include: Colin Firth, Jeff Bridges, Daniel Day-Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Paul Newman.
My Prediction: Daniel Day Lewis will win this award. I have very little doubt that his role as Abraham Lincoln will go unawarded.
My Pick: I think that Bradley Cooper could be a dark horse in this race. He really stepped out of his norm and delivered a believable and relatable character. It would be great to see him win for the same reason I want DeNiro to win; it would encourage him to do more dramatic roles and not every Hangover sequel Todd Phillips can pump out.

Best Leading Actress:
This award has the same criteria as the one for Best Leading Male just for a Female. The first person to win this award was Janet Gaynor for her roles in not one, not two, but three films: Seventh Heaven, Street Angel, and Sunrise! Other notable winners include: Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, Halle Berry, and Diane Keaton.
My Prediction: I feel that Jennifer Lawrence has a good shot at winning. She's not up against Streep which is good for her and the others in contention are good but by no means Oscar shoe-ins.
My Pick: Jennifer Lawrence was incredible in Silver Linings Playbook. She has done her best to vary her roles and this one is the most mature character she has portrayed. Lawrence was nominated in 2010 for her role as Ree in Winter's Bone but ultimately lost to Natalie Portman for her performance in Black Swan. This could be her year.

Best Director :
Easily one of the biggest and most important awards, the Academy Award for Best Director goes to the director that shows extreme technical ability. These directors are able to weave a film together and present a true piece of art. Frank Borzage was the first winner of this award in 1928 for his film Seventh Heaven. Other notable winners include: Tom Hooper (The King's Speech), Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker), Kevin Costner (Dances With Wolves), Robert Redford (Reds), and Milos Forman (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).
My Prediction: The awards for best Director and best Picture are often linked together so I have to give this one to Steven Spielberg for Lincoln. I have stated before that I think Lincoln will sweep the Oscars and this is one of those categories that it is almost guaranteed to win.
My Pick: Ben Affleck for Argo...wait, he wasn't nominated? That's strange...Ok, well, David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook then. I think that may have been the best film I had seen last year (other than Django Unchained but alas, Tarantino isn't nominated for best Director either).

Best Picture:
The Academy Award for Best Picture is given to the film that was, overall, the best film released within the award year. it is, perhaps, the most coveted award that the Academy gives out. Winning a Best Picture Oscar secures your reputation as a filmmaker and allows you to have more freedom with your future projects. The first film to win this award was Wings in 1928. Other notable winners include: The Artist, Crash, American Beauty, Braveheart, and Annie Hall.
My Prediction: Lincoln is likely to win this award as well. There is just no stopping a Spielberg period piece about the man that brought the United States together during a time of great division.
My Pick: I would love for Django Unchained to win simply because it was so fresh and fun. Tarantino has never won a best Picture Oscar. He deserved it for Pulp Fiction but Forrest Gump won instead. He also deserved it for Inglorious Basterds but lost to The Hurt Locker. I think that Tarantino makes films his way and doesn't compromise and I admire that. He deserves a win.

Well, there it is! Those are my predictions and my personal picks. Please comment below to tell me where your opinions differ from mine. Let's get a discussion going! Thanks for reading!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! FYI... Anne Hathaway is a lock for Best Supporting Actress. Philip Seymour Hoffman is probably the only actor who really doesn't have a chance winning Best Supporting Actor lol. It'll either go to DeNiro or Tommy Lee Jones. And everyone knows that Argo is the clear favorite and will win Best Picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have thought more about Anne Hathaway I can see her winning the award easily. She did so much to prepare for the role and her rendition of I Dreamed A Dream was incredible. I haven't seen The Master yet but I am curious as why you say he doesn't stand a chance. Was he that bad in it? I cannot see that as being the case as he has never done poorly in anything.

      Delete